The Bunion is a multimedia satirical news publication that regularly and consistently produces content for and about the Boston University community. The Bunion aims to provide a reliable outlet for students at a challenging university in a fast-paced city to smile, laugh, and know that other students are going through similar struggles and experiences. In achieving this mission, The Bunion will actively seek out and initiate collaboration between Boston University students across a wide range of interests including but not limited to writing, editing, marketing, computer science, web design, photography, filmmaking, management, and all forms of comedy. The Bunion will create opportunities for these students to understand the inner workings of a multimedia publication, learn and practice a wide variety of types of satire, participate in the editing and revising of their contributions, and gain active leadership and management experience on a large, hard working staff. The Bunion aims to seek out new, creative ideas to determine the best ways to reach the Boston University community and bring smiles and laughter to the widest audience possible.
The Bunion and all of its affiliates operate on the following principles:
- The Bunion reserves the right to write about any issue pertaining to Boston University no matter how controversial, sensitive, or unpopular, with the understanding that articles must be constructed carefully. The Bunion also reserves the right to refrain from publishing something deemed in bad taste on a case-by-case basis.
- The Bunion currently publishes content that is about or relevant to Boston University. The Bunion reserves the right to expand its scope in the future to include content beyond Boston University.
- The Bunion will always use invented names in articles, with the exception of notable figures such as the President of the University, the Dean of Students, famous alumni, or people for whom on-campus buildings are named. The Bunion also reserves the right to reference colleges, businesses, and organizations affiliated with, relevant to, or located on or near Boston University campus by name. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental.
- Though The Bunion reserves the right to discuss and satirize larger trends in the BU community relating to identity, The Bunion will not target any individual or group of Boston University community members on the basis of their beliefs, physical appearance, or identity, including but not limited to race, gender, sexuality, religion, ethnicity, nationality, or ability.
- The Bunion will refrain from using *unnecessarily* vulgar language, especially language that is demeaning.
- The editorial staff of The Bunion reserves the right to edit, revise, and publish or not publish any content submissions. Though The Bunion involves contributors in the editorial process, all content must be approved by the Editor-in-Chief prior to publication.
- The Bunion believes in using satire responsibly. If you have any concerns about our content, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Though writers have the option to list their name on their contributions, all content published by The Bunion and its affiliates is owned by The Bunion, and concerns should not be directed to individual writers.
- These Standards of Publication took effect on August 1, 2018, and apply to all content published after said date. The Bunion reserves the right to keep all content published before said date available online and will review concerns about old content on a case-by-case basis.